Anna's Reviews > Immortality

May 25, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: borrowed
Read in June, 2009

I cringe at the fact that I once defended Milan Kundera -- after laughing so hard I cried at this wonderful essay, Dating Without Kundera, I sent it to some literary-minded friends, with a side note stating that it was a great piece of writing despite being wrong about the Czech novelist.

I'm not sure anymore what kind of drug cocktail I was on when I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being a couple years ago, but I can assure you I was in fact sober while reading Immortality, which was an awful, self-indulgent piece of crap. Kundera's writing smacks of too much praise having gone straight to his head. Any writing talent he may have had has now been cleared out by his massive ego. The novel's characters are annoying, one-dimensional, and completely unsympathetic, and he interrupts their uninteresting stories with long tangents on history and philosophy that pretty much made me want to shoot myself.

The only reason I actually finished this book is because I'm stuck in provincial China with a very limited supply of English language books at my disposal. Having slogged though it, I wish I'd picked up The Devil Wears Prada instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortality.

03/29 marked as: read

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee Layberry Agreed. Life's too short. Thus book made me feel like I was just not intellectual enough to "get it".