Colleen's Reviews > The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

F_50x66
Jul 08, 09

bookshelves: history
Read in May, 2009

This really is can't-put-it-down history. Prior to reading this book, my knowledge of the Dust Bowl was limited to The Grapes of Wrath and a paragraph or two in a high school history textbook. Unlike The Grapes of Wrath, this book is focused on life for those people who didn't leave. It's a tragic chapter of American history conveyed through stories of several families interwoven with facts and observations such as the following: "The flattest, driest, most wind-raked, least arable part of the United States was transformed by government incentive, private showmanship, and human desire from the Great American Desert into Eden with a haircut." Very well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Hard Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peg (new)

Peg Thanks, Colleen. I *always* enjoy reading what you write! I will pass this review on to Jeff. He reads about 30 books to my one; very much enjoys endurance and survival accounts and history; and is often looking for a good reading lead. Thanks for including me on Goodreads!