Cynthia's Reviews > A Lost Lady

A Lost Lady by Willa Cather

May 31, 2009

bookshelves: re-reads-2009
Read in May, 2009

A young man grows up worshiping an older, gracious woman but he can't forgive her for choosing a vigorous, full life over his youthful, staid definition propriety. You can feel his angst over his puppy love for her battling the static vision he needs from her. She however, has her own longing to keep living and loving to her fullest ability. They both find a type of peace in the end.

Cather explores how well we can actually know and understand others. As a young woman the aging heroine married a much older man. He comes from another era, from US pioneer times, with it's unique behavior codes for men and women, right and wrong. Even though these codes appear brittle from the outside he as an individual manages to see his wife as a complete person with her strengths and foibles as well as her dreams of what might have been or could be. He honors her with this more complete and intimate understanding of her in a way the heroine worshipping boy can't. The boy grows up and begins to see the gray where before he only saw black and white. Cather always excels at showing the range of human emotions and she does so in such few words and without maudlin emotion.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lost Lady.

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks Good review, Cynthia! I haven't read this one yet.

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria What a great review! She's really good in just this way - few words/not maudlin.

message 3: by مرجان (new) - added it

مرجان محمدی is this a clean book?

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Clean?

Cynthia I read mine in the bathtub.

message 6: by مرجان (new) - added it

مرجان محمدی hahahahh,
sorry i mean no swears or erotic parts

Cynthia Elsewhere,

First I wish I knew your real name but Cather is a sweatheart. She wrote in another time and another place. I've read almost all Cather's works and there's nothing risque about her at all, or if it is it's very subtle. She's also a very, very good author. I hope you read her.

What are your favorite authors?

Cynthia