Keiki Hendrix's Reviews > Between Wyomings: My God and an iPod on the Open Road

Between Wyomings by Ken Mansfield

Jun 29, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction-christian
Read in June, 2009

“The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together. The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road. The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy. The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.”
-Psalm 19:7-8

Setting the tone for his book "Between Wyomings: My God and an iPod on the Open Road", Ken Mansfield with the above scripture (The Message Bible) at once captures your attention.

Recounting his three month tour with his wife in their van (affectionately named Moses), Mansfield recounts, reflects, and relives his years in the music industry.

Describing his writing style as a 'christian on acid', his statements are wildly imaginative pegging the mindset of the entertainment industry as we all imagine it to be, somewhat disorganized but wondrously creative at the same time.

Mansfield recalls his life and moments with many of the entertainment industries most famous icons, those who have shaped history, such as: Beach Boys, the Beatles, Dolly Parton, Waylon Jennings, Glen Campbell, Roy Orbison, Andy Williams, Don Ho, and Willie Nelson.

Especially interesting to me were his discussion with God as he searched to make sense of his life. This is the essence of his testimony as it is for all of us. Describing God, Mansfield writes:

"Oddly enough, I think the big reason I love Him so much is because He doesn't always knock before He enters. He loves to just storm into my deepest parts and start turning over tables, clearing spaces, and setting things free."

This is a very interesting and illuminating book, written with great honesty and humor. As you finish this book, you may find yourself grabbing your iPod, loading it up with a history of your life in 'music' and beginning a reflective story of your own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Wyomings.