Angelc's Reviews > Devil of the Highlands

Devil of the Highlands by Lynsay Sands

Aug 14, 09

bookshelves: already-own-read
Read in August, 2009

I was in the mood for a fun, lighthearted romance when I picked up this book, and "Devil of the Highlands" delivered! Evelinde's wicked stepmother arranged for her to marry Cullen, the Laird of Donnachaidh because of his bad reputation as a harsh ruler and murderer, wanting to see her suffer in a marriage to such a ruthless man. Evelinde and Cullen have a chance meeting before the ceremony and Evelinde instinctively knows the horrible rumors about him couldn't possibly be true. They have a genuine affection for each other, not to mention chemistry, immediately. Cullen then goes to great lengths to whisk Evelinde away, so she won't have to spend one more second with her evil stepmother.

It takes Evelinde time, but soon she understands that even though her husband rarely speaks to her, or anyone, his actions tell of his true fine character and his feelings for her. Cullen gradually learns to communicate with his new wife, and she learns to accept him, meeting each other halfway. I loved how the characters got to know each other. They weren't separated by a plot device, and they didn't hold back from each other because they were afraid of their feelings. They truly interacted with each other, getting to know the good and the bad, and fell in love!

Evelinde was a sweet, talkative lady, who was very accident prone! However, she was also very intelligent and was usually able to get herself out of the sticky situations even before her husband arrived to help. I loved Cullen, talk about the strong, silent type! His motto seemed to be 'actions speak louder than words.' He was one of the most caring, thoughtful, noble heroes I've read about for a long time. My only problem with Cullen was that he wasn't in the last 1/3 of the book enough!

I would give the first 2/3 of the book 5 stars. Yes, the beginning has some silly parts that might not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed the funny scenes and would've liked the silliness and humor to continue for the entire book. However, in the last portion of the book, the romance really took a backseat to the murder that Cullen was accused of as the Devil of Donnachaidh. Although the mystery was well done and I didn't even see the culprit coming, I wanted more romance! Sadly, Cullen seemed to turn into a background character as Evelinde solved the mystery.

I loved the first part of this book, the humor and genuine feelings between the characters was such a relief to read. I was just disappointed in the end because it focused too much on the mystery. I will definitely look for more historical romance by Lynsay Sands in the future.

Reviewed for: http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil of the Highlands.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review! It's been a while since I have read a book with a sexy highlander. I'll have to pick this one up. =)

Angelc Thanks, Karen! Cullen is a perfect highlander hero!

message 3: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Sold! To the Wish List it goes! *sighs*

message 4: by Rane (new)

Rane This sounds like a great book! Awesome Review Angelc!

Angelc Thanks, Dina and Rane!! I think you both will like this one :) Dina, if your wishlist is like mine, it's overwhelming to say that least!

message 6: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Overwhelming is the word, Angelc! As of now, I have more than 300 books I want to buy... and it isn't like I don't own enough books to read. But you know how it is, even with 150+ books on the TBR, sometimes I feel like I have "nothing" good to read, LOL.

Angelc Dina, I feel exactly the same way! I always feel like I have nothing to read even though my bookshelves are overflowing!

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen It must be a symptom of the disease, because whatever I want to read *next* usually isn't in my TBR pile so I have to go buy it. LOL

Angelc Haha, Karen, exactly!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I love these kind of books. Great review!

Angelc Thanks, Danielle! So do I :)

Smileyluvsbooks (Faz) Does the romance in this book progress very slowly? (More than half way through the book, the main characters finally realise they are in love with each other) :)