Jennifer Johnson's Reviews > Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

2021711
May 25, 2009

did not like it
Read in September, 2006

Honestly? Name one girl who doesn't love Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. (If you haven't read it, you're missing out) That book is almost as sacred as the Bible itself... and you can't help yourself but fall in love with the glowering Mr. Darcy and long to be Elizabeth Bennet. I love Pride and Prejudice. Love it... so when I heard about this book it seemed like a natural progression for me.

I tried to pretend that continuing the Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy story with a different author wasn't sacrilege. I hunted this book down like some people hunt wild game and immediately tore into Linda Berdoll's Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife. My eyes were affronted almost immediatley with a common theme in these book, "Elizabeth and Darcy 'get it on'... a lot". Berdoll decided to spice up the Austen classic, by continuing the story and giving us ALL the gory details of Darcy and Elizabeth's wedding night as well as many other nights they share together. No one loves a good smutty story as much as me, but honestly, I just didn't need to know in this case. These characters were so pure before and the book would have gone a LONG way with me if it had kept the details chaste and tried more to invent a story.

I was wrong in ignoring my gut feeling that the only person who can write Austen is JANE AUSTEN... this book wasn't very good at all. The author, desperately trying to recapture the romance of Pride and Prejudice has the characters experience a soap opera of events from illigetimate sons to miscarriages to kidnappings, I couldn't tell if this was the story of Darcy and Elizabeth or just a really bad episode of Passions. I did not enjoy this book and do not plan on reading any of the follow ups- Jane Austen is probably rolling over in her grave for an eternity thanks to this book. I'm giving it a 2/10-- and recommend if you want a really good Austenian read... you read the originals.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife.