Mike's Reviews > Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload

Bit Literacy by Mark Hurst

81925
Oct 09, 07

Recommended for: extremely disorganized people
Read in October, 2007

He has a lot of good ideas that work for him, but like any solution, it won't fit all situations. You'll need to find a compromise that works for you.

I don't care for his file system schemes, or his suggestions to use programs like iTunes or iPhoto (probably because I don't like either program and not everything apple makes is solid gold).

I also have some security issues with some of the things he says, such as storing passwords in plain text files. This is a bad idea. Don't do it. His reasons why mac OS X is more secure than Windows are also flawed. Both systems need to be secured in their own way and once we see more Mac viruses, this argument will fall apart.

Anyway, he has some good ideas and bad ideas. Decide for yourself which to implement. 3/5 because I'll implement 60% of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bit Literacy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Koleś "or his suggestions to use programs like iTunes or iPhoto (probably because I don't like either program and not everything apple makes is solid gold)."
I think you misunderstood autor of this book. He didn't tell us what program we should use, he wrote that we could use any program that we want. They key is to sort files with method that will guarantee us, that this files will work both on iPhoto and Picassa for example. But I agree that everyone should modify this ideas or implement only that ideas that work for him. When I was reading this book I was already using many of this method, and I was like "this books looks like it was wrote by me :D".
//I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say, my english isn't very good. :).