Keziah Wallis's Reviews > A Wizard of Earthsea

F 50x66
Oct 22, 09

bookshelves: to-edit
Read in October, 2009

This book is one of my childhood favourites. I don't think I ever realised it was a YA book however. My mother had the first three books of the trilogy in one giant book, I think at that time there were only three books either intended or released. It was one of my old favourites I would pull out every couple of months and re-read. After the travesty that was Earthsea the miniseries, I had to immediately go track down my own copy of the books. I struck it lucky and managed to find the first three books online very cheap with the 1973 covers (they're fabulous). I marched my way through book one A Wizard of Earthsea this week and fell in love all over again.

I'm not usually one to fall for a male lead in a sci-fantasy series unless there's significant interaction with a female character that I like, however Sparrowhawk has always been the exception to the rule. Usually I love the side character, or the maligned bad guy, but if the interactons between the hero and a female character that I love are interesting and slightly off kilter then I fall in love. Sparrowhawk however is such an interesting character that I can't help loving him right from the start. He's such an arrogant git to begin with, which is of course the reason he ends up having to deal with all the darkness and evil things that come after him in his life, however he grows and matures, which is often a problem in books like this.

If you read sci-fantasy and haven't read at least this book, then shame on you. This truly belongs on a list of some of the greatest sci-fantasy worlds of all time. Le Guin has such an amazingly clear and well developed world, and despite the YA status of the book and it's ease of reading, the plot is so well developed and leaves you guessing and thinking right to the very end

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Earthsea.

10/22/2009 page 500