Nancy's Reviews > Stitches

Stitches by David Small

Aug 26, 09

bookshelves: graphic-non-fiction, young-adult-interest, july-2009, memoir
Read in July, 2009

This memoir in graphic format by children's author and illustrator David Small reveals a very dark childhood where he cowered in a house punctuated by the angry silences of his mother. Likewise, David was reduced to near silence not just in fear of unexpectedly setting off his mother, but by the loss of one of his vocal chords. Left briefly in the care of his maternal grandmother, he overheard family secrets and was exposed to incomprehensible violence, which later shed some light on his mother's erratic emotions, but at the time terrified him.

David's survival and success seem miraculous in light of the psychological and physical challenges he faced. He found an outlet for his emotions by retreating into a world of imagination expressed in drawing, and it was his art which ultimately gave him the escape he needed as he grew older, leading him to a successful career as a picture book artist that he could never have imagined at the time.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stitches.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane I need to find this. The basic premise sounds very much like my own childhood, minus the attention from Dr. Dad.

The Sequim library is very tiny but it may be part of the collection. I know - we've been here a month and I haven't joined the library yet! I've been busy reading gardening books. After 23 years in the desert I'm in heaven!