Brandi Rae's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Pete Hamill

Jun 17, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction, historical-fantasy, favorites
Read in June, 2009

I've put off writing about this book, I loved it so much and I'm not sure I can really do it justice by writing about it without giving away the magic of the book.

Forever begins Ireland during the 1740s. Cormac O'Connor is a boy who learns that he is half Irish, half Jewish in a time and place where the only acceptable heritage is to be an English Protestant. After the death of his family, he accepts the Irish vow to avenge his father's death by ending the familial line of his father's killer, the Earl of Warren.

This vow takes him on an adventure, crossing the Atlantic to the bustling port city of New York. Through a series of events and encounters, Cormac is granted immortality (this is where I don't really want to ruin the plot). His immortality comes at a price though....he may never again leave the island of Manhattan. Doing so would be considered suicide, a death that would prevent him from ever joining his family in the afterlife of the Otherworld. The story then follows Cormac through the ages as he tries not only to really live, but also stay true to his original vow of avenging his father's death.

It's been a really long time since I've loved a book as much as I loved this one. It weaved a wonderful story, combining history together with a bit of magic. I'm kind of sad that it had to end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.