Therese's Reviews > Dinah and the Green Fat Kingdom

Dinah and the Green Fat Kingdom by Isabelle Holland

May 25, 09

bookshelves: kids

Do you remember the first time, when you were growing up, that you couldn't make-believe anymore? Where your yard wouldn't turn into a store or your bike into a car? This book examines, among other things, the last few weeks of childhood.

The tensions in Dinah's young life are making her very sour. She is becoming increasingly value-less to the world the fatter she gets, it's become the only thing her busy mother cares about; that and praising Dinah's sad skinny perfect little cousin who lives with them. She can't find her place in this world, so she invents her own world, for her and her ugly little puppy, sitting in a hidden tree writing in her notebook about the Green Fat Kingdom. But then she meets the weird family up the hill, and finds maybe there is a happy spot in reality for her, too.

This book has stuck with me my entire life. I read it last year, and it was better than I remembered when I was 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinah and the Green Fat Kingdom.