Coral Rose's Reviews > Beginner's Greek

Beginner's Greek by James Collins

May 26, 09

bookshelves: 2009, own

This was a good book for Memorial Day weekend. It was fluffy, a little. It was sweet, a lot. It was idealistic, to the extreme. But it was well-written. I enjoyed the characters, even if Holly seemed a bit too perfect and Throppe seemed a little too malevolent and Peter seemed far too loyal.

Peter and Holly meet on a trans-American flight, and immediately click. Unfortunately, Peter loses her phone number and since he failed to get her full name, is left to pine after her for years. When he runs into her again, she is dating, soon-to-be engaged to his cad of a best friend. What follows is a comedy of romantic errors, people at the wrong place at the wrong time, people falling in and out of love, and people doing what people do best - being pig-headed.

It ends well, of course, for nearly everyone. Everyone whose love is sweet and pure finds a way to be happy, and the miserable selfish people are left to rot in their selfishness. It's the sort of saccharine ending that can only be tolerated when you're sitting in the sun after a long walk on a day off. I know I can be outwardly cynical, but even the most dedicated misanthrope sometimes hides a bit of the romantic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beginner's Greek.

05/24/2009 page 177
38.15% "Sometimes treacle-y is a good thing. Like when you're exhausted."
05/24/2009 page 207
44.61% "You know, this book is going to have to do something dramatic in order for me not to like it now. Unrealistic? Yes. Sweet? Also yes."