Eva Leger's Reviews > Walking Ollie

Walking Ollie by Stephen Foster

Jun 03, 09

bookshelves: b-non-fiction, pets-animals
Recommended to Eva by: someone I shouldn't have listened to
Recommended for: cut the pic of the cute dog off and throw the rest in the trash- NOW
Read in June, 2009, read count: once= more than enough

Ugh....this man is so self-centered it's scary. Everything this dog does is because of HIM. If the dog doesn't listen, it's not because the dog has something fun to do, it's because the dog hates HIM. If the dog does this, it's because the dog hates HIM. The dog doesn't want to listen to HIM. The dog wants to make HIS life harder. Give me a break. I can't believe this was actually published.
This is the best example right here of people who shouldn't own dogs.

I finished the book and it still sucked. I want it out of my home as soon as humanly possible- it's that bad. I don't know how this guy can even call himself an animal lover to be honest. It's like he's lacking in total common sense. He does these things, puts his dog in danger and then feels as if the dog did it to get back at him. Guess what Foster? HE'S A DOG buddy! A DOG! A FREAKING DOG!
He gets surpised because the dog takes off one night. Why did the dog take off you ask? Well, number one, he had no leash. Number two, because he's A DOG. THAT IS WHAT THEY DO. But- apparently the dog wasn't supposed to take off like that and who wants to know why? Becuase he never had before while walking that route. Yes, I'm serious. I read that in this book. It's in there I swear. I guess he's not aware that dogs do play by humans rules. Did I mention the dog (and Foster) were running through traffic because he decided to walk him, leashless, near the road?
I don't know what to say about this- I have so many pages checked with the most idiotic things he wrote. I just don't have the desire to go through it all again because it's actually quite scary. My three year old knows more about dogs than this guy.
I apologize if this is harsh, I hate to be harsh, but everything I say is the truth and this book bothered me to no end.
Let's not forget this little tidbit either- he loves his rescue dog so much that he went out and bought a purebred from a breeder. You loving animal lover you.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Ollie.

05/30/2009 page 41
21.69% "this came today and I never start anything the same day I get it so I thought I'd go ahead this once..."
05/30/2009 page 56
29.63% "I don't know yet....I like hearing about Ollie...I'm going to keep going!"
05/31/2009 page 165
87.3% "almost done thankfully- this is NOT a good book."
05/31/2009 page 165
87.3% "someone just shoot me now. I wish I had been taking notes but then my review would be a mile long...this is terrible...TERRIBLE."
05/31/2009 page 224
100% "I'm reviewing this tomorrow. I have to get him and this book OUT of mind asap."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Your review was hilarious. So you're saying I should read this right away right? lol.

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Oh God- stay away! Unless you hate adorable animals with a passion that is. I still find this on my mind sometimes. I hate it. LOL

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I very seldom finish books I dislike this much. That forgotten realms book I got rid of on PBS a month ago or so, I might have read 25 pages and just said it's not for me, I'm bored out of my mind. I think I have thousands of books I could be reading, there is only so much available time, why waste that little amount of time reading something that bores me?

message 4: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger You are so right and that's something I had a very hard time with until recently. Actually, in all honesty, it's still hard but I am able to do it now. Before I would finish no matter what. Now, I do try to finish but if I really hate something I'll stop. Usually. LOL The reason I finished this was because it was pretty slim and therefore fast to read and since it was about dogs, I figured it would kind of get better.
I mean, I don't expect them all to be fantastic but how can you mess up a dog book THIS bad? I kept hoping it would gain it's footing. (Notice I didn't use "regain".)
You want to hear the real sucky thing? I mooched this AND the sequel at the same time! So now I have the sequel sitting here staring me in the face. UGH!

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten I may just have to read it just so that I can make some hilarious comments as well!! LOL.

Seriously though ... don't you DARE send that book to me! I'll re-read "Marley and Me".

message 6: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger You're time would be much better spent rereading Marley! Trust me. Now I'm stuck though because I have the sequel. Sometimes hinting that it might be better, you just never know, but from my experience with this one I just think so.
You guys are not missing anything! I haven't found one yet that I've liked more than Marley & Me but I have some here to-read and I have a lot of others that I'll eventually get. If and when I do come across a really good one I'll let you guys know!

message 7: by Judyms (new)

Judyms No kidding. The best use for this book would be to beat the author over the head with it while forcing him to read 'The Other End of the Leash' by Patricia McConnell, or 'Bones Would Rain from the Sky' by Suzanne Clothier. As a volunteer for the Retired Greyhound Trust, this book made me hopping mad - he must have made EVERY 'stupid owner' mistake in the book!