Dina's Reviews > Crazy Hot

1918270
Sep 09, 10

bookshelves: romantic-suspense
Read from September 03 to 05, 2010

Hot hardasses in hot wheels + TSTL hot babes + one-dimensional villains + flimsy plot = fun, mindless summer reading.

I knew I had to suspend disbelief to enjoy this book and I was fully prepared to do so, but Ms. Janzen's writing didn't help me. It was easy to read, I give you that, but it wasn't engrossing enough to keep me captivated. Quinn Younger and Regan McKinney were supposedly the H/h, but there were so many characters and storylines going on at the same time that the story lost its focus. Exhibit A: the single sex scene between Quinn's friend Kid and Regan's sister Nikki was longer, more intense and more sensual than any of the sex scenes between Quinn and Regan. That's just wrong!

As this is the 1st book in the series, I understand the author's need to "set the stage" for future books, but I think Ms. Janzen took things too far. Every frickin' character that popped up in the story had their own 15 minutes (or more) of fame and the too frequent change of POV drove me insane. I wasn't confused with who was who and I had no problem following the story, I just didn't enjoy being "interrupted" in the middle of a scene with Quinn and Regan only to see whatever was happening in whoever's life. That prevented me from connecting with them - and when I can't connect with the H/h, the romance falls flat.

As for the plot, it was fun but had more holes than a Swiss cheese. Exhibit B: Quinn was a former Air Force pilot, a national hero who'd been featured on the cover of Time Magazine, Newsweek and the front page of every major newspaper in America. Incredibly, he managed to land a job working undercover among the bad guys. WTF? How come nobody recognized him? Were they blind? There were more jarring moments like that, but this is a spoiler-free review rant so I rest my case.

Based on what I wrote above, you must be wondering why I'm giving this book 3 stars - which isn't an altogether bad rating. Well, what can I say? Even with all its flaws, this was an OK book. It kept me entertained while I read it, but I didn't find myself glued to its pages and it won't stay with me now that I finished it.

Am I going to read the next book in the series? Maybe, when I'm in the mood for more mindless fun. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy Hot.

09/03/2010 page 1
0.0% "This is supposed to be an unrealistic but very fun RS. Okay, I'll bite. *checks disbelief at the door*"
09/04/2010 page 86
20.0% "If I read the word "darn" one more time, I'll have to kill someone." 20 comments
09/05/2010 page 163
38.0% "Too many POVs: Quinn's, Regan's, Kid's, Christian's, Regan's grandfather, Regan's sister Nikki... I hope that's all and no one new pops up in the story." 8 comments
09/05/2010 page 218
50.0% "15 minutes of elevator ride to get from the street to the 7th floor!?! They'd get there faster if they took the stairs, LOL. Anyway, guess what they decide to do to pass the time... Sex, of course! *rolls eyeballs*" 7 comments
09/05/2010 page 348
81.0% "The constant change of POV is getting on my nerves. Focus, please!" 3 comments
09/05/2010 page 432
100.0% "Mindless fun... It was OK." 6 comments

Comments (showing 1-36)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 36: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Lol - sometimes our comments while reading these books are funnier than the books themselves.

message 35: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina LOL! So true, Juliana. I refuse to be defeated by a "bad" book, so I always try to find some fun anyway I can.

message 34: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May I think T.J. is one of those authors who totally works for you... or just doesn't. Sorry you didn't love this one! (I sure did!)

message 33: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina That's OK, May. We can't all love the same books. :)

Beanbag Love This one's on deck for me. Unless it's horrendous I'll probably go for book 2 since, as you say, first books in a series tend to be clunky.

Great review, Dina! I will check my brain at the door when I turn on the Kindle to read this book.

message 31: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, Beanbag. Forewarned is forearmed. :)

message 30: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Nice review D! It was fun reading it, but definitely not mindless. Like how u compared the plot to swiss cheeese!! ;)

message 29: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, Jasmin. :)

message 28: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Oh I agree Dina - I just always set out to like books, so is bummer when it doesn't work. you know?

message 27: by Rane (new)

Rane How come nobody recognized him? Were they blind?

Like the reader while reading this book, checked their brain at the door as to not go into any depth or how WRONG and how many holes this story is

Great ReviewRant Dina as always! ;D

message 26: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, Rane. :)

message 25: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Great review, Dina! Or stealing Rane's terminology - great rant :-).

(And just have to add that "TSTL" has got to be my favorite acronym in the romance-reviewing language!)

message 24: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, Juliana. "TSTL" is one of my favorite acronyms too, but I live for "HEA". ;)

message 23: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz I have this one still to try but now you've scared me with the TSTL (!)

message 22: by Dina (last edited Sep 09, 2010 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina East, Regan and Nikki were definitely TSTL.

Exhibit C: When Regan is told to stay put and let the experienced Steele Street team take care of the situation because danger was everywhere, did she listen? Of course not!

Exhibit D: When Kid told Nikki that bad guys were coming to get her and they needed to leave her house ASAP, what did she do? She spent precious minutes in the bathroom looking for her cherry lip gloss!

What do you think happened after the TSTL behavior described above? :(

Auntee ..."Am I going to read the next book in the series? Maybe..."

WAIT A MINUTE! Don't stop now--not before you get to Christian! Don't cheat yourself like that!:D

message 20: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Auntee, you know I decided to (finally) read this series after Shawna's review of Crazy Cool, but I'm not so sure about Christian anymore. He did something very sleezy in this book and he lost some points with me.

message 19: by Leah (new)

Leah Nice review, Dina :)

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but what does "TSTL" mean?

Auntee Dina wrote: "Auntee, you know I decided to (finally) read this series after Shawna's review of Crazy Cool, but I'm not so sure about Christian anymore. He did something very sleezy in this book an..."

Refresh my memory Dina--what sleazy thing did Christian do?

TSTL Leah is "Too Stupid To Live"--not a stupid question at all.:)

message 17: by Dina (last edited Sep 06, 2010 07:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, Leah. :)

Auntee,
***** POSSIBLE SPOILER *****
Christian french kissed and fondled Regan. He was working undercover and playing his part trying to fool the bad guys, but what annoyed me was the fact that he enjoyed doing it. He even came close to having a hard-on remembering it later. That was too sleezy for my poor sensitivities.
***** END SPOILER *****

message 16: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Auntee, I have a grammatical question... I wrote "sleezy" and you replied "sleazy". I looked it up and the word "sleezy isn't exactly what we call "proper grammar" but it exists. Is "sleezy" too vulgar and offensive? I need to know if I should avoid using it, because I'm a lady! ;)

message 15: by Leah (new)

Leah Thank you for clearing that up, Auntee! I see it all the time and always wondered what it meant, LOL

Auntee Dina wrote: "Thanks, Leah. :)

Auntee,
***** POSSIBLE SPOILER *****

Oh my, I don't even remember that! Were Regan and Quinn a couple then? Did Christian know that they were?

About sleezy/sleazy...well, I found 'sleazy' in the dictionary, and it had a slightly different meaning than 'sleezy'--which is the spelling I should have used. As far as I know it's not a vulgar or offensive word--use it in good health, Dina!:D

message 13: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Yes, Regan and Quinn were a couple then and Christian knew it. To be fair, all that happened in front of Quinn - remember, they were trying to deceive the bad guys - so Christian wasn't backstabbing his friend. It was Christian's pleasure, not his intentions, that freaked me out.

And thanks for the grammar lesson. :)

Auntee Okay...well, Christian is a bad boy...what can I say?
Don't give up on him--he's been through a lot!

Mollie *scoutrmom* Why is it that reviews of mediocre or bad books are always more fun to read than reviews of excellent books? I liked this book for the same reasons you did, and felt the same way about the characters. Great review writing, Dina!

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Auntee wrote: "Okay...well, Christian is a bad boy...what can I say?
Don't give up on him--he's been through a lot!"

Okay, Auntee, I'll give him a chance. It might take a while, though. :)

Dina Mollie wrote: "Why is it that reviews of mediocre or bad books are always more fun to read than reviews of excellent books? I liked this book for the same reasons you did, and felt the same way about the charact..."

Thanks, Mollie. It's hard to write reviews of excellent books. I always feel I can't put in words how great they are and I end up rambling and gushing over them.

message 8: by Juliana (last edited Sep 06, 2010 09:26PM) (new)

Juliana Mollie wrote: "Why is it that reviews of mediocre or bad books are always more fun to read than reviews of excellent books? I liked this book for the same reasons you did, and felt the same way about the charact..."

Completely agree!!! Same with updates on bad books - they are FAR more enjoyable than those for good books (and often hysterical).

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... This one is coming up soon for me! Great review, Dina!

Dina Thanks, UM. I hope you like it better than I did. Just remember, check your brain at the door, relax and have fun. :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Dina wrote: "Thanks, UM. I hope you like it better than I did. Just remember, check your brain at the door, relax and have fun. :)"

Yeah, I get that. Shoot To Thrill was like that, too. Heck, the whole trilogy was! LOL

MelissaB Great review Dina! Yeah, there were good and not-so-good parts to the story. The side stories drive me nutty sometimes.

Dina Thanks, Melissa. I'm OK with one side story, but this book was just OTT.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Dina, you helped me find a "Y" for the a to z male character challenge. Hugs!!!!!

Dina YW, Danielle. I hope you enjoy the book. :)