Chrisiant's Reviews > This Human Season

This Human Season by Louise Dean

Sep 10, 07

bookshelves: political, fiction
Read in September, 2007

I read this just after re-reading Belfast Diary by John Conroy, which I had originally read as a textbook in a college course on the History of Ireland.

The book is set in 1979, right in the thick of "The Troubles" period of Ireland, just before a round of hunger strikes by Catholic prisoners. Reading it just after a good historical context book worked really well, I think. The fiction fits right into the non-fiction framework set up in my head by Conroy's book, and little plot points or obscure references would click because of my earlier reading.

I felt like the switching back and forth between "sides" each chapter (between the Republican/Catholic/prisoner set of characters and the Unionist/Protestant/prison warden set of characters) was a little forced. It seemed like it might have served better in several places to continue with one storyline instead of bouncing back to a kind of unnecessary scene in the other storyline.

The ending, at least on the Protestant side of things, was way too predictable, and on the Catholic side it was a little too happy an ending for me. Generally though, I enjoyed the book and thought it was pretty well written.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Human Season.