Alex Watkins's Reviews > A Wizard of Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

May 26, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, 2009
Recommended for: fans of magical boats, map enthusiasts
Read in May, 2009

I am a fan of earnest fantasy, completely unironic. This was great like lord of the rings but not racist, the barbarians are white with red hair...hmmmm. It packs quite a punch for how short it is, take note house of many ways. The universe is really well made and I like books with maps, always a good sign. Ursula K. Le Guin, how could your name be any more fantastical, its like you were born to write fantasy books. Then I thought wouldn't it be funny if the K stood for something like Kirsten or something completely unmagical. But it actually stands for Kroeber! Awesome, she's the daughter of the famous Berkeley anthropologist Theodore Kroeber, well known around these part for Kroeber Hall. So apparently she married into the Le Guin part, but the Ursula part is all her. Was this a popular name in 1929? were her parents like you will either grow up to be a disney villain or a famous fantasy writer?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Earthsea.

message 1: by Louis (new)

Louis This is probably the most delightful review you've written. It almost makes me want to read the book, even though I'm definitely not a fan of earnest fantasy.