Spider the Doof Warrior's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

May 15, 14

bookshelves: i-love-this-book
Read in May, 2014

This is an awesome book, but it's painful to read. The good thing about it is the strength of Jeannette Walls and her siblings. At first they seemed like a fun but eccentric family, but as Walls got older she realized that the situation she was growing up in was disturbing. She and her siblings worked hard to change and improve their lives. There's no whining and bemoaning her fate, her parents to me come off as people I don't know how to feel about. In some ways they are patient parents who teach their kids about the stars and being confident, but on the other hand they are neglectful, the children often went hungry and their lives fell apart like the shack they were living in towards the middle of the book.
But there's no hatred of her parents from Walls. There's a lot of love for them, frustration, struggling to understand them and their point of view, but she's not bitter. She just struggled to make her life better even has her parents were spiraling down.
This is a beautiful, inspiring solid book that will frustrate its readers and touch them as well.

I'm reading this book again. DANG the mother gets on my last nerves. It's like everything she says makes me want to scream at her. The thing about kids is that living in certain ways can become NORMAL but it's good that the kids realized that how they were living was not healthy. Not every kid realizes that.

12/26/12

Don't ask me why, But I love books about people with difficult childhoods. Somehow they are oddly hopeful, that folks can survive difficult circumstances and come off stronger. This book is no exception. It's still an excellent book, but man, do I continue to not know how to feel about Walls' father. Her mother frustrates me.

5/15/14

Read it again. Jennifer Lawrence is going to be in the movie version of this along with Claire Danes and Mark Ruffalo. Should be interesting. For parents who are so lax about parental control, they sure had some traditional ideas in terms of just parental authority. I admired how the kids got tired of their situation and took control. There's still that mixture of love for a parent and frustration. If you're a child, sometimes you have no choice but to love your parents. Being a child is somewhat like being in prison. The lucky ones get good minimum security prisons with good food and lenient guards.

And do people live their lives with catch phrases? Somehow foreshadowing events? Like the foundation of the Glass Castle being full of garbage equaling some for of SYMBOLISM?
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.

05/29/2009 "I finished this book again. It's interesting the love she has for her imperfect but interesting parents. More later"
12/23/2012 "Never have parents been more confusing. So irresponsible. So loving, but then so off the hook crazy."
12/24/2012 page 93
32.0% "She's very good at these ironic sentences at the end of each chapter and section."
12/24/2012 page 113
39.0% "Dang it, if these people had help with their issues they'd be brilliant. The parents! The father is a raging alcoholic and the mother has her share of problems."
12/24/2012 page 117
40.0% "he drinks their money away"
12/24/2012 page 122
42.0% "It's frustrating because there were so many ways these folks could make money. They are smart people. You don't have to be a so-called lowlife to struggle. Like they had a house they could rent out, land to sell all kinds of things, yet their situation just gets worse and worse all the time."
12/24/2012 page 125
43.0% "Jeannette Walls, I apologize, but I want to smack your mother with a large fish. i know it's not very nice but she says so many STUPID THINGS in this book that are just so STUPID."
12/24/2012 page 132
45.0% "WHY THE HELL DID THEY MOVIE HERE?"
12/24/2012 page 148
51.0% "At this point these parents are not so much eccentric but insane."
12/24/2012 page 156
54.0% "These kids try so hard"
12/24/2012 page 176
61.0% "Every time her mother says something hippie dippie and stupid WHAM right in the face with a big smelly old fish"
12/25/2012 page 200
69.0% "worse parents ever >< beating a child because her mother is lazy"
05/11/2014 marked as: currently-reading
05/11/2014 "WHY MUST THEY DROWN THESE KITTENS?!"
05/13/2014 "I'm so sorry, Jeannette Walls, but I want to hit your mother with a fish."
05/14/2014 page 126
43.0% "And it all turns to hell. Moving to Welch was a bad idea."
05/15/2014 page 185
64.0% "ughhhhhhhhhhh"
05/15/2014 page 186
64.0% "I AM SORRY JEANNETTE WALLS BUT I REALLY DON'T LIKE YOUR MOTHER AND I CONTINUE TO WANT TO BEAT HER WITH SALMON. JUST TAKE A BIG, WHOLE FISH AND JUST WACK HER WITH IT! UGH! SHE'S SO SELFISH WHY WOULD YOU FIND A DIAMOND RING AND NOT USE IT TO FEED YOUR HUNGRY CHILDREN OR TO BUY A BETTER HOUSE?! AUGH!"
05/15/2014 page 188
65.0% "Her father is frustrating too, but OMG HER MOTHER WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER WHY IS SHE LIKE THIS AND SHE CAN TEACH AND GET A JOB AND SUPPORT THE KIDS AND MAKE SURE FOLKS HAVE FOOD AND STUFF! URG. These parents are so smart and yet so frustrating. i just want to BEAT THEM WITH FISH." 5 comments
05/15/2014 page 212
73.0% "ARG HER DAD SUCKS SO MUCH WTF?!?!"
05/15/2014 marked as: read