Synesthesia's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Oct 21, 13

bookshelves: i-love-this-book
Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: so many times

First of all, this book ought to be the Philosopher's stone, dang it. We Americans are NOT STUPID.
Second of all,this is the book that started it all. It's classic! I first read it in college and I enjoyed it so much, the funny candy names, the characters, the reader is taken along with Harry on a magical adventure they will never forget.
I have read this book, this series many times. The enjoyment of it usually doesn't wane. There's maybe a few minor inconsistencies, but all and all it's just too enjoyable. It's earl grey tea. It's eating a delicious sundae. It's sprawling in your bed on a weekend just enjoying a good book that doesn't nag you, but it entertains you. It's a great book and you can see why JK Rowling went from being a struggling single mother to a kajillionaire because she is just that good.
Not perfect, no writer is, but great enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Quotes Synesthesia Liked

J.K. Rowling
“The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

J.K. Rowling
“Lee Jordan was finding it difficult not to take sides.
'So — after that obvious and disgusting bit of cheating —'
'Jordan!' growled Professor McGonagall.
'I mean after that open and revolting foul —'
'Jordan, I'm warning you —'
'All right, all right. Flint nearly kills the Gryffindor Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I'm sure, so a penalty to Gryffindor, taken by Spinnet, who puts it away, no trouble, and we continue play, Gryffindor still in possession.”

J.K. Rowling
“Do you mean ter tell me," he growled at the Dursleys, "that this boy—this boy!—knows nothin' abou'—about ANYTHING?"
Harry thought this was going a bit far. He had been to school, after all, and his marks weren't bad.
"I know some things," he said. "I can, you know, do math and stuff.”

10/02/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/02/2013 page 107
34.0% "And so it begins. The start of a friendship that will span 7 books. That will last through thick and thin and destroy Voldermort. OMG I just love Harry Potter. It makes me as happy as ice cream does. As yummy brownie sundaes. I should actually have one but I'm not paying 6 dollars for dark chocolate Haagen Das. Screw that. That's expensive as hell." 2 comments
10/04/2013 page 179
57.0% "Yes, they will be best friends forever! They will raise their children together! I just love this book so much! This trio of friends, through hell and back again!"
10/05/2013 page 230
74.0% "I hate this part because why should Harry and Hermione have been punished when this was all Hagrid's fault? It was his dragon." 4 comments
10/21/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Haleema LOVE your review!