Auntee's Reviews > Indigo Blue

Jul 06, 09

bookshelves: catherine-anderson, historical-romance-american, 2009_reads
Recommended for: Fans of American Historical romance
Read in July, 2009

I didn't have high expectations going into reading this book and I'm glad I didn't--I was pleasantly surprised with how engrossing this story was. Of course it wasn't the epic that Comanche Moon was, but it was well-written, entertaining, and even suspenseful--and held my interest right through the tear-jerker ending. And yes, at times a was a little miffed with young Indigo--I thought she was stubborn, immature, and a bit headstrong--and a lot of that I blame on her parents.

I'm kind of surprised at Loretta and Hunters's parenting skills. Although there's no doubt that they love their children, I was surprised the way they raised Indigo. I thought she had way too much freedom (especially as a young teen) and could have used more guidance. And her father let her be a "powder monkey" in his mines? Hard to believe that he would let her do something so dangerous. I guess this was the Comanche way of raising your kids or something--sort of a 'hands-off' attitude and let them learn from their mistakes, but jeez, I thought Indigo needed more boundaries. And I was disappointed in Loretta as a parent. After all she went through to be with Hunter, I thought she'd be more open with Indigo, especially when it came to sex and marriage. But she was just the opposite, clamming up and blushing whenever Indigo broached the subject. So poor Indigo goes to a reluctant prostitute to get advice about men? I just knew where the book was heading after that!

So yes, Indigo was a little immature, spoiled and stubborn at times, and she really had some hang-ups about white men and her 1/4 Comanche heritage, but for the most part I liked her. I could understand her fears of being 'owned' by a white man, and who could blame her after what happened to her when she tried to fit in to the white man's world 6 years ago. So she was sort of stuck between two worlds--the white man's and the Comanche--and needed to find herself and the place where she belonged. I loved her relationship with her animals and especially her 'pet' wolf, Lobo, and yes I shed a few tears for him too.

As for Jake, well I took to him right away. You could tell that he was a good guy, even though he came off as a bit autocratic and set in his beliefs with his sister Mary Beth. But I thought he was mostly kind and patient with Indigo, even if he did have one or two stupid moments. And even though it seemed like it took forever for him to win Indigo's trust, I enjoyed the journey. And his willingness to give up mostly everything about his former life just to make Indigo happy, endeared him to me. What a catch! I felt he went through a lot of personal growth, was willing to meet Indigo more than halfway, and I was just waiting for her to realize that.

No compaints here about their love scenes, except that they came late in the book and there wasn't that many. The last 50 pages or so moved very quickly, what with Indigo and Jake finally hiting the marriage bed, and them having to deal with the scum that was out to destroy their lives. I will say that the episode in the mine was a nail-biter and tear jerker all rolled into one! Whew!

So, fans of "Comanche Moon", make sure you read this one. How could you not want to know what happens to brave Indigo, and catch up with Hunter and Loretta too? This was a fine romance with a good plot and lovable characters who have to work a bit for a big HEA. Can't wait to read about Indigo's brother Chase next, in Comanche Magic! 4 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indigo Blue.

06/30/2009 page 1
07/03/2009 page 89
22.19% "Very good so far...loving Indigo and Jake..."
07/04/2009 page 157
39.15% "Uh-oh, getting advice from a reluctant prostitute about your upcoming wedding night-probably not a good idea for Indigo..." 2 comments
07/04/2009 page 339
84.54% "Some frustrating moments, but an enjoyable read..."
07/05/2009 page 388
96.76% "Wonderful story. Review coming..." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathrynn What do you think of this, so far?

Auntee I just started it this morning (I wanted to be home when I read it), and I like it already--hope it stays that way!:)

Kathrynn Do you think you would have liked it as much if you didn't already know a little about it?

Auntee Do you mean if I hadn't read the reviews and known a little of what to expect? Maybe I would have been a little disappointed, but not much. I still thought it was a good story. It helps not to have unrealistic expectations.:)
I sure wish she had written a book to cover the missing years though...

message 5: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review, Auntee! I really need to get a start on this series...

message 6: by Rane (new)

Rane Wonderful review, Auntee!
I don't find many "American" setting historical romance much but this sounds pretty good!

Auntee Thanks Dina and Rane!:)

You're right, the American historicals aren't as common as the English ones, but I enjoy them.:) And you can't go wrong with Catherine Anderson--she has some great historicals and some great contemporaries.

Kathrynn Rane, may want to try Pamela Clare's "Ride the Fire" and "Untamed." They have colonial frontier setting and I thought they were very good.

Auntee Kathrynn wrote: "Rane, may want to try Pamela Clare's "Ride the Fire" and "Untamed." They have colonial frontier setting and I thought they were very good. "

Oh yes, the best American historicals!

message 10: by Barbara M. (new) - added it

Barbara M. I was a little leary after "Comanche Heart" (talk about disappointment personified), but maybe I'll pick this series back up... I don't think it could get any worse than Swifts story. Great review!

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Powder monkey? *snicker* I've never heard that term before, but I like it. (I'm a cheap laugh!)

Auntee Tammy wrote: "Powder monkey? *snicker* I've never heard that term before, but I like it. (I'm a cheap laugh!)"

LOL, sounds a little naughty, huh?
I think it's the person who handles dynamite--sets the charges or something--lights the fuse, etc. You'd let your daughter do that, wouldn't you Tammy?:)

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Definitely no! But then again, both of my daughters have inherited my klutz gene so I'm sure they wouldn't even be offered the job. My oldest daughter falls down the stairs at least once a week - it doesn't even phase us anymore. She just yells "I'm okay" and we leave it at that!

Auntee Tammy wrote: "Definitely no! But then again, both of my daughters have inherited my klutz gene so I'm sure they wouldn't even be offered the job. My oldest daughter falls down the stairs at least once a week - i..."

LOL, then she definitely shouldn't be handling dynamite!:D

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I barely let her handle a cheese grater!

Auntee LOL!