Kristen's Reviews > The Bilingual Edge: Why, When, and How to Teach Your Child a Second Language

The Bilingual Edge by Kendall King

May 23, 2009

Read in May, 2009

Five stars means that there are absolutely no flaws....and while that isn't true, I am not going to be nit-picky enough to flip through the pages just to find something wrong to comment about.

I loved this book. For over three years I have been researching bilingual parenting, bilingualism, how to raise a bilingual family, etc. I have way more knowledge than I need in order to act...but my perfectionistic side has kept me procrastinating a dream I've had for a very long time.

Long story short, I'm giving the book five stars because, after reading it, I am going to stop dragging my feet.I am jumping in and I'm going to teach my girls Spanish. A number of myths and stereotypes I had previously mentally recorded as fact, were debunked because the authors (two women with phds) gave solid facts and more relevant and recent research. They were extremely accurate and did not make overgeneralizations about the topics. They provide resources, ideas, guidelines, and most important for me...motivation to raise bilingual children even when circumstances are not textbook perfect. I feel like I could have only read this book, instead of the 2 dozen I've read that did not help me that much. Excellent read for anyone interested in this---and that includes any of you who do not speak a second language. You don't need to speak a second language in order for you kids to speak one! (And no, that doesn't mean you move to France and hire a French au pair. )

Excellent resource.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bilingual Edge.