Toni Osborne's Reviews > The Chicago Way

The Chicago Way by Michael  Harvey

1970656
Jun 06, 09

Read in June, 2009

This novel holds all the old clichés you can attribute to a PI story. With a witty and basic prose (sparse and snappy), the author gives us a story that has lots of twists and turns and great effects.

The story begins when Michael Kelly (an ex-cop, now a PI) is approached by a long time buddy from the police force to look into a cold case of a young woman brutally assaulted, stabbed and left for dead. Kelly is drawn into a mind bending investigation that will have him face the mob, a serial killer and a double crossing friend...

This debut novel of Mr Harvey has put his expertise as a journalist and his experience on the television documentary (Cold Case Files) to the forefront. This provides us with an engaging story that captures the gritty part of Chicago's atmosphere, a memorable cast of tough characters right out of "The Untouchables", it also spins a murder mystery provocatively and gives us an out of the left field ending.

If you were attracted to a 60's style detective hero that had the stylish patter of Jack Web's protagonist, Joe Friday, were a fan of the TV Show "The Untouchables", or loved Raymond Chandlers' character Philip Marlowe, you will enjoy reading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chicago Way.