Auntee's Reviews > Silent Watch

Silent Watch by Elle Kennedy

Jul 28, 09

bookshelves: quick-read-romance, romantic-suspense, 2009_reads
Recommended for: Fans of romantic suspense
Read in July, 2009

This was a quick little romantic suspense and it was mostly pretty typical fare, haven't-I-read-this-before type of book. I must say though that the last 30 pages or so were pretty gripping, and had me turning the pages as fast as I could read them. I love when a suspense plot all comes together, when all the pieces are in place, and the madman/crazy killer is about to be caught. Of course you know either the hero or heroine's life will be in danger, and that's what happened in this one. Pretty well executed though.

Samantha's a former swimsuit model, and a survivor of a sadistic serial killer referred to as the "Rose Killer" (he carves roses into his victims). She's one of two victims who has managed to survive (but the world thinks she's dead), and is now in the witness protection program living a far different life than the one she had as a famous model. When FBI agent Blake Corwin asks if she will help find the killer by speaking with his latest (5th) victim who also managed to survive, Sam figures it's time she takes her life back and do something to stop this madman. She's tired of living in constant fear.

Blake and Sam have a spark when they first meet, but despite the attraction, Blake wants no part of relationships anymore when he's working. His last girlfriend paid the ultimate price because of his misjudgement, and he vows that he will never let that happen again. So his guilty conscience says 'no involvements' when he's on the job. Problem is he's on the job--all the time. And he's tired of being celibate.

Sam is surprised at the attraction she feels for the intense, serious Blake. It's been six months since her attack and the thought of letting any man near her again is unthinkable. But there's something about Blake--besides his gorgeous looks, that is. It's not long before neither can deny the attraction (although Blake tries his hardest), and eventually they give in to it. Hot times.

But of course, Blake has to be one of those romance heroes who thinks he knows what's best for the heroine, gives Sam the old "I'm no good for you, you-deserve-better than me, I-don't-want-to-put-you-in-danger" routine, etc. Luckily Sam isn't one of those heroines who falls apart when the hero is too scared to admit his true feelings. She knows what they have is right and good, and she won't let him deny her that easily. The question is, will she get a chance to have a lasting relationship with the reluctant Blake, or will that darn psycopath get in their way?

This was a pretty good afternoon read. Despite its short length, the characters were fairly well drawn, the suspense was pretty good, and there was even a few twists and turns that surprised me. The bedroom action was pretty hot, but not too explicit. It did end rather abruptly though--I think it could have used another short chapter or an epilogue. But all in all, a pretty good effort by the author. I know Elle Kennedy can write some pretty hot contemporaries, now I know that she can handle RS as well. 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent Watch.

07/25/2009 page 1
07/26/2009 page 53
24.77% "Too much napping, not enough reading..."
07/27/2009 page 173
80.84% "Pretty typical RS..."
07/28/2009 page 214
100.0% "Review coming..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shawna I'm jealous! I tried to find this one early and haven't seen it in stores here yet!

Auntee Found it at WalMart this week--I was surprised!:)

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I'll keep my eyes open for it at Asda (brand name for WalMart in the UK).

Shawna Doh! I always forget to try Wally World!

message 5: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Nice review, Auntee! I sense some "lack of enthusiasm"(?) in your words so I think I'm going to skip this one.

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shawna wrote: "Doh! I always forget to try Wally World! "

Auntee is queen of Wally World! I never would have thought to look there for Jeaniene Frost's books.

Auntee The "lack of enthusiasm" may be because as I was reading it I was thinking of getting my hands on Destined for an Early Grave. I probably didn't give it the loving attention that it deserved!:)

Auntee Tammy wrote: "Shawna wrote: "Doh! I always forget to try Wally World! "

"

Ugh! Usually I hate that store--but I can't deny they have good prices on their books!

message 9: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Great review Auntee,possibly a good beach/pool/ weekend read:)

Shawna Great review! Glad I picked this one up!

message 11: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Auntee!
I've given up on some of the Silhouette lines as many seem to repeat themselves

message 12: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Interesting. Looks like one I'd enjoy.