blue-collar mind's Reviews > New Orleans City Guide 1938

New Orleans City Guide 1938 by Work Projects Administration

Dec 10, 2015

bookshelves: favorites, new-orleans
Read in January, 1993

Thank you to Garrett County Press for re-releasing this! I have lent my original copy out way too much and am actually without it right now. When I heard this was being released, I went and bought it that day.

I am a big fan of this series and have 5 or so originals, found after hours, weeks of bookstore searching here and elsewhere. I also collect any source materials or reference on what I consider the heyday for encouraging local writing and collective history work. The Guide series allowed local people to be paid for writing short pieces on their own place, and more importantly I think, to speak about current social conditions for the first time in "travel" type books.

Some of the information is not found anywhere else and if you really want to understand your Crescent City, buy this. Buy it also because this publisher is to be thanked for this and many other great work brought forth by these guys.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Orleans City Guide 1938.