Rachel's Reviews > Museum: Behind the Scenes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Museum by Danny Danziger

Nov 15, 07

bookshelves: oral-histories-and-autobiographies
Read in November, 2007

On one hand, this is a book I wish I had written. The author interviewed a range of people who work at the Met and compiled the results into a book. I love museums and I love oral histories, so really, what could be better. Unfortunately, he didn't do a very interesting job with it. There is no analysis, and he totally removes himself from the interviews. He emphasizes how passionate and enthusiastic everyone is, which gets annoying and meaningless pretty quickly. Aside from one interview with a janitor, everyone he talks to is pretty high up, which is okay but less interesting to me than if he had a wider spread. Ovearll, the book is okay but doesn't live up to its potential. I did enjoy a few of the chapters very much, like the firefighter and the guy who's in charge of shipping and packaging and the guy who's the greeter. Also, the fundraiser and development guy was really cool - he says you should donate your art to the Met because that way "more eyeballs will be blessed" than if you give the art to any other place.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Museum.