Tracey's Reviews > Lullaby

Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

Dec 18, 07

bookshelves: due-for-re-read
Read in April, 2004 — I own a copy

I got Lullaby as a pass-along from my mom a few months ago & finally started reading it earlier this week.

Wow. I don't think I've read anything this powerful & bleak since the first time I read Cat's Cradle. Carl Streator is a reporter with a terrible past, investigating SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). He discovers that the deaths all seem to have something in common: a book of poems & rhymes that contains a culling song - a simple poem that kills whenever it is recited. He is joined by Helen Hoover Boyle, a realtor specializing in haunted houses with demons of her own, in an attempt to eradicate all traces of the culling song.

Potent and disturbing at times, this book is my first exposure to Palahniuk and is one of the more compelling reads I've had so far this year. The themes of power & corruption and media influence are interwoven through this darkly absurd tale. I'm not sure I can say I enjoyed this book, per se... but it was a fascinating and worthwhile novel. I'll be reading more of his books - but maybe not while eating.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lullaby.