Tracey's Reviews > Perdido Street Station

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

Sep 05, 2007

bookshelves: no-longer-owned
Read in September, 2006

Wow! -Good, solid fantasy ,.. I've gotten swept right up into the story & have good mental pictures of the main characters & the city itself.

Isaac & Lin are the main characters (so far) - he's a semi-discredited scientist & she's an artist ... as well as a non-human. Isaac and Lin both take on assignments that stretch their capabilities & that they must keep somewhat secret.. like their relationship.

The city they live in is vast and at an early Industrial Revolution stage of technology, with some interesting twists. The things, the people... the things that were also people -- just amazing. Will definitely have to track down some of Mieville's other works. (even if he does use "juddering" almost as much as Mark Gatiss did! :^) )

I'm not doing the story justice, but hopefully you get an idea. I've only had a chance so far to dip in & out - but the story deserves some long stretches of uninterrupted reading to keep the threads fresh in my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perdido Street Station.