Christina's Reviews > More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819: A Novel of Sisters, Husbands, Heirs

More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819 by Jane Dawkins

May 22, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads, austenphilia
Read in May, 2009

I read the first book in Dawkins series of sequels, Letters From Pemberley, over a year ago. In that review, I wished the book would have "allowed me to be privy to Jane Bingley’s, nee Bennet, letters to Elizabeth rather than just Elizabeth to Jane. Throughout the novel, Elizabeth responses to her sister’s letters but often times, I had wished that I could see exactly what Elizabeth was responding to."

My feelings and wishes have not changed.

Part of the problem with More Letters From Pemberley, and the whole series of sequels for that matter, is that they really don't give the reader the whole picture of what's going on; you're only privy to what Elizabeth decides to share with you, and she honestly isn't the greatest of a letter writer. There isn't much detail, and with this book spanning five years from 1814 to 1819, there are a tremendous amount of gaps and holes in the story line.

The characters are also much more concerned with having babies; although I do realize this was a widespread fear amongst women back then, that's what the entirety of More Letters From Pemberley is focused upon. The story just lacks excitement and the death of a child and loss of consciousness are just tired, old recycled plot lines.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Letters from Pemberley, 1814-1819.

05/22/2009 page 200