Deanna's Reviews > My Life in Pink & Green

My Life in Pink & Green by Lisa Greenwald

May 22, 09

Read in May, 2009

Realistic fiction, small town, friendship, family drugstore, makeup and beauty tips, middle school crushes.

Lucy Desberg is a 12 year old girl who opens the family mail and realizes they are about to lose their pharmacy. Business isn't good anymore because people are going to big box stores to purchase groceries and fill their prescriptions at the same time. One of her hobbies is playing around with and applying makeup on her older sister. Eventually she decides to use these skills to help the young girls in her town look beautiful for the school dances, weddings and special events. One important line, "I don't like it when people say makeup makes you prettier. That's not really true. Makeup can make you feel a little better about yourself" (p. 94) rang true. The high school girls nick name Lucy the makeup goddess.

At this same time Lucy joins the Earth Club at her school and begins thinking about convincing her family to turn the business into a green pharmacy. She also begins researching eco spas and dreams of opening one next door to the pharmacy. Eventually with the help of her older sister she fills out a "Going Green Grant" for local small businesses to see if her dream can become a reality.

I enjoyed reading this book since a middle school kid is trying to make a bad situation that adults caused and try to make it better. Only girls would enjoy this book because of all of the makeup talk and boy crushes. It was a fun enjoyable read.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in Pink & Green.

message 1: by Terrell (new)

Terrell Are you going to include it in the environmental piece?

Terry

Deanna Barbara ended up cutting this book from our manuscript which was totally fine--we had all reviewed too many books. I enjoyed reading this but it isn't the best book I have read this year. Three neighbor girls have borrowed and read it this summer though--and all 3 enjoyed it.