April's Reviews > The Vampire Lestat

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

May 22, 09

I first read the Vampire Chronicles when I was in high school. I immediately fell in love with the characters. Rice is so vivid in her description and detail. You almost feel you are there with the characters. I have since read the Vampire Lestat multiple times and it is by far my favorite in the series.

This book begins with Lestat waking up in present times. He falls in love with rock music and forms a band. Sounds cheesy, but that isn’t the direction the book takes. This is the biography of Lestat. We are taken back to 16th century France and are introduced to young Lestat and his family, including his beautiful mother, Gabrielle. Lestat is troubled by his attraction to Nicolas, and runs away and joins an acting troupe. This is when his is noticed by a vampire and becomes one himself. We travel with Lestat as he meets other vampires and learns the history of his kind.

There is always something sexy and alluring about a vampire. Rice portrays this throughout the entire book. Her description is unbeatable. Lestat is one of the most memorable vampires in literature, and this book is riveting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Lestat.