Jen's Reviews > Power Play

Power Play by Francine Pascal

May 12, 14

bookshelves: sweet-valley

Good lord, this particular book just send the WRONG message to young girls. And I love me some Sweet Valley but really!

Basically Jessica won't let Robin join her sorority (and who has sororities in high school anyway?) because she's fat. And Robin gets all depressed but then gets motivated and loses like a bajillion pounds by pretty much starving herself and exercising too much. Great themes Francine! Like you haven't shoved down our throat how perfect Jess and Liz are already for 3 books (and will continue too for another 100 or so.)

But wait, happy ending! Robin gets skinny (in like two weeks!) She joins the sorority and cheerleading squad and makes Jessica look stupid! Good things only happen to people who aren't fat! Christ...I think I'm going to go eat a donut.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power Play.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica always looks stupid by the end.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Those Wakefield twins were always a perfect size 6, back in the days before girls were supposed to be a perfect size 0.

WHY would Robin make Jessica look STUPID after Jessica helped inspire her to become THIN? How ungrateful! I agree. These books are terrible.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" I'm so glad they are reissuing some of these, and you'll be glad to hear that Elizabeth and Jessica are now perfect size 2's.
Not.

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Aikea-Guinea wrote: "Fat people and retards should be beaten and driven out into the wilderness. (That's covered in Sweet Valley High #235: The, Like, Totally Final Solution.)"

oh god, that made me laugh so hard.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I'm so glad they are reissuing some of these, and you'll be glad to hear that Elizabeth and Jessica are now perfect size 2's.
Not."

setting unrealistic expectations for young girls, decade by decade! genius.

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen I just realized that I read this one, thanks to your review...specifically remember the weight issue. Some things can lie dormant for years and then, when you least expect, they rise from the dead and make you want to hate yourself all over again. :)

message 8: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Reppe I remember reading this one when I was 11 or 12, and that Robin lost weight by running around the track. What's so wrong about that? More people should be motivated. I just remember being happy for Robin. It's gratifying for the reader (in most cases would be a young girl). I feel no need to go back and read these books. I do however, want to re-read some S.E.Hinton and other quality teen reads.

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Sonia wrote: "I remember reading this one when I was 11 or 12, and that Robin lost weight by running around the track. What's so wrong about that? More people should be motivated. I just remember being happy ..."

I enjoy Sweet Valley for the silly fluff that it is. In fact, I'm a pretty huge fan. This book just sits with me the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with being motivated in a positive sense, but to be motivated only because of the taunting of your peers? Yes she ran around a track, but they also made a pretty obvious point that she was running *too* much and not eating enough, just to join a sorority that humiliated her. I think even as a pre-teen, I knew that what Robin was doing wasn't healthy.

plus I'm just being snarky. that's the whole point of reviewing SVH. =)

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Um that was an amazing review. Are you reading the entire series or something?

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Brittany wrote: "Um that was an amazing review. Are you reading the entire series or something? "

I'm re-reading as many as I can, which is pretty easy since they're so short. So far, it's fun to compare what I think now as an adult, to my memories of the books when I was younger.

Monica I'm doing the exact same thing. Well, and making up for the fact that I didn't get to read them all as a kid.

The attitude about overweight girls in this book is pretty horrible. And I have to admit that I will never forget that "size 6" is perfect (until you read the 90s versions which puts it at a size 4). But, Robin made it clear that she did not lose her weight to get into the sorority. She did it for herslef. But, I can see that now as an adult. My 13 year old self would have seen at as "You must be thin, perfect 6, have blond hair or be rich to be popular."

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Peterson THIS. Even as a 13 year old, my jaw dropped at how so utterly wrong this book was. Francine Pascal sure hates fat people. This is still evident in the atrociously awful Sweet Valley Confidential books, too :p

message 14: by Tamikia (new)

Tamikia Nothing wrong with an overweight girl losing weight or whatever but the moral of this story seems to be: If you are fat you are unattractive and a loser but if you lose a lot of weight you will become co-captain of the cheerleading squad and be popular and become very confident. This isn't the only SVH book that has a bad theme another one is Wrong Kind Of Girl. The writers of SVH seem to dislike overweight people remember in book 101 when Lila and Jessica work at the resort and they were mean to the overweight girl?