Parisa's Reviews > Eyes Like Stars

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

Mar 03, 10

bookshelves: ya-paranormal, year-2010, borrowed
Read in March, 2010

It took me about 250 pages to really get into this story. That's a lot of pages before you start to like a story. My main issue was the vague setting. This book took place in a theatre and the theater seemed to exist in its own world. The rules for this theatre were not the same for the rules of the world around it. What frustrated me was not knowing this until halfway through the book. Also, it didn't make sense to me that if the people in the theatre had no exposure to the outside world, how was it possible that they then had jeans to wear and knew of things like "laser-triggered alarm systems"? These disconnects didn't work for me.

If we knew the setting early on, I probably wouldn't have had such issues with the book. But Mantchev didn't provide a clear picture of where her story was taking place. That being said, I love the idea of a theatre that lives to its own rules and exists in our world. I thought Ariel was a great character and by the end of the book I was interested to know where the next book would take us. It just took me 250 pages to get to that point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eyes Like Stars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carly I don't remember exactly, but I had this problem when reading it too. I was reading an ARC though, and just kinda hoped these things got cleared up w/ the final. I know there were details/lack of details that bugged me. I still really like how the theater is it's own land. (Also, I think we find out more in the second book...)

Parisa Carly wrote: "I don't remember exactly, but I had this problem when reading it too. I was reading an ARC though, and just kinda hoped these things got cleared up w/ the final. I know there were details/lack of d..."

I would like it too except that theoretically they shouldn't have any concept of outside and therefore shouldn't' know about the things that they're referencing. That part is frustrating. sigh.