Aimee's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Sep 08, 07

bookshelves: romance
Read in October, 2005

There are two things that made me want to try this book: the story, which is centered on food, and the word “chocolate” in the title. After reading it, I learned the book had more to offer. Set in a Mexican home, Like Water for Chocolate is a story about Tita, her love for Pedro and her talent for cooking. This, for me, is a unique book as each chapter begins with a recipe that the main character cooks in the story. With dishes like Turkey Mole with Almonds and Sesame Seed or Quail in Rose Petal Sauce, readers would find themselves curious and interested to read further. Though it is centered on culinary passion, the book also touches on topics like family matters and cultural issues that readers can relate with. Perhaps, the only weak point of this book is its ending. I admit that I prefer a book, love stories in particular, that ends with the line "they lived happily ever after"; with the book’s somewhat tragic ending, readers who don’t appreciate Romeo and Juliet may find this book a bit disappointing. Nonetheless, it is a good enough book for me. Readers should watch its movie adaptation—it’s like a film and a cooking show combined.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.