Melissa's Reviews > The Pearl

The Pearl by John Steinbeck

F 50x66
May 21, 2009

Recommended to Melissa by: my teacher
Recommended for: no
Read in May, 2009 , read count: 1

The Pearl by John Steinbeck wasn’t incredibly horrible, but it wasn’t a great book, either. It had a valuable lesson and there were some interesting points to it, but overall, the story was boring. I’m not saying it was dull to read. It was easily read because it didn’t have anything extra. It was clear and concise, which I like. Although, the story wouldn’t make me want to read it.
The Pearl is about a poor family, which is usually Steinbeck’s main characters, who live near La Paz, Mexico. There is Kino, Jauna, and the baby, Coyotito. They’re living a tough life, always looking for fortune. Their luck comes to them one day when they find a pearl in the sea. It’s a giant pearl, but is it really lucky? Will they get rich or will everything come down in flames? They’re living a tough life, always looking for fortune. Their luck comes to them one day when they find a pearl in the sea. It’s a giant pearl, but is it really lucky? Will they get rich or will everything come down in flames?
It sounds like an interesting story at first when you first read it, but, when you think about it, it’s really not that great. It’s just another tale passed on that has been made into a book. Some of those are interesting, but when their main reason for being is to teach a lesson, it gets kind of boring.
This story is well written and has a really important lesson. But, the story just isn’t as interesting as I had hoped. Learning isn’t always fun, and in this case, it’s not. I would not suggest this book. But, it is great for schools. It’s great reading practice and it has a good lesson. But, if you want an exciting story, this isn’t the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pearl.