Andrea's Reviews > In the Hand of the Goddess

In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce

May 25, 11

bookshelves: 2009, fantasy, youngadult, adventure, favorites, 2011, boarding-school
Recommended to Andrea by: Kristin Cashore (in her blog)
Recommended for: fantasy lovers, adventure lovers, strong girls, warrior maidens
Read from May 24 to 25, 2009, read count: 2

In the Hand of the Goddess directly follows the plot from Alanna The First Adventure. Alanna is still a squire disguised as a boy. The book follows her through her first battles, the Ordeal of Knighthood, and her show down with the evil Roger of Conte.

I can sympathize with those who feel that the book often jumps forward skipping moments that we would like to see, but I enjoy many of the characters so much that I can easily overlook any flaws. This series has brought out my love of adventure and my inner-warrior maiden in a way even Graceling didn't. I'm not sure how I feel about the romance in this book, nor in the next, but I have yet to read the fourth, so we'll see how it turns out. I think the fact that I had the third book The Woman Who Rides Like a Man out of the library and was able to move straight into it helped with any misgivings I may have had about this book. I think the series is a lot of fun, and I look forward to finishing it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Hand of the Goddess.