Christina's Reviews > The Bielski Brothers: The True Story of Three Men Who Defied the Nazis, Saved 1,200 Jews, and Built a Village in the Forest

The Bielski Brothers by Peter Duffy

May 27, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads, nonfiction, source-library, genocide
Read in May, 2009

In the interest of honesty, I skimmed the majority of this book because, well, it wasn’t want I was expected. I had expected more insight into the Bielskis’ life inside the forest; however, The Bielski Brothers chose to focus on life around the forest, not in it. So much so that it gets bogged down in the details and the Bielski Brothers get the short end of the stick — their story isn’t being told; the story of Jews in Poland is.

And the writing is absolutely boring, except for the prologue, which was very interesting and very well-written compared to the rest of the book. I’m hopeful a more skillful author decides to take on this important novel because it could be very interesting and engaging in the proper hands. My recommendation is for you to watch the movie version of the book, “Defiance,” and leave this book behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bielski Brothers.

05/21/2009 page 25