Kasia's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult, kick-ass-women
Read in October, 2009

Catching Fire delivers just like The Hunger Games did. It gets this insane energy, especially at the very end, delivering kicks and punches right and left. Yeah. It does not disappoint for sure. I mean, I was so high on adrenaline that upon finishing it up last night I had to stay awake for additional 2 hours loitering around the house, trying to calm myself down a little. But that's a tiny price for such an entertaining read.

But I wouldn't say it was better than Hunger Games - just like one Harry Potter book is not better than the other, or even if there is a discrepancy between them, it still does not matter - because Potter books all in their own class. And so is this*.

And although I did not cry this time around, although Collins left it off with a cliffhanger, although I was hoping Cathing Fire would go at a slightly different tangent - it's still a solid 5-starer and I adore it wholeheartedly.

_______________________________________________________
*If it does not get made into movies, I'll be truly surprised. It's a great blockbuster material.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Comments (showing 1-15)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Annvelwis Do tell, was it equally awsome as Hunger Games or was it even better? ;)

Kasia Something like that. I'm not sure she can do better than Hunger Games. But then, she doesn't have to do better, right? Just kipping it up is enough for me.

She could probably do with a more literary style, but her sharp crisp sentences work well in action sequences, so I'm not complaining.

Annvelwis Heh, it looks like I have to plan on what to read next few months in advance now (and this one I'll try to pick up this month)... It's all GR fault, heh! Before I dicovered it reading was like... adventure - I went to library or bookstore and never was sure with what I'll be leaving. Now it's all charts and lists and order... And fun, so much fun!

Kasia Annvelwis wrote: " It's all GR fault, heh! Before I dicovered it reading was like... adventure - I went to library or bookstore and never was sure with what I'll be leaving. Now it's all charts and lists...."

It still is for me. I fill in the lists as I go. I try not to read too much on the books that I'm planning to pick up (anything with spoliers, backflaps, sideflaps is a no-no). And I sometimes still do pick up random books at the library.

But now, at least, I never run out of ideas as what to read next. It's just that possibility are endless and I love it.

Also I'm branching out. Like I've started reading non-fiction. And I hated that for a loooong time.

Annvelwis I'm slightly OCD. I have to have charts. Before GR my lists weren't about my reading material, that's the only difference ;)

(digression)
Heh, I remeber once I gave my younger brother a shopping list. It was my regular shopping list with numbers, quantities and three sets of substitute items for those products that weren't necessities. The list worked better that I intended it to - brother went and bought every item on the list, then called me to help him with the bags, heh.

I love planning - schedule, shopping, travel - it doesn't matter what.
So, conclusion is: I heart me some GR ;D

message 10: by Kasia (last edited Oct 09, 2009 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kasia Gotcha! It seems like a useful OCDish type of thing, with the shopping ;D

Kasia Woot! Woot!

Jacqueline I totally agree with you that it should be a movie. When I read this book and the first I just kept thinking how AMAZING of a movie it would be. And love the review. Quite enjoyable(:

Julie S. I really hope that they do not make it into a movie. Surefire way of ruining the book since something is almost always messed up in the translation.

Sarah You said it was a solid 5 stars--but you gave it 4?

P.S. The movie is already scripted, it's coming out fall '11

Lexy Julie wrote: "I really hope that they do not make it into a movie. Surefire way of ruining the book since something is almost always messed up in the translation."

i think the biggest problem with turning books into movies is the casting. if they cast it well it will probably be good.

message 4: by S.J (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.J dislike

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles Don't worry. The first book is on it's way to the big screen right now.

Ronyell Great review Kasia!!! I really loved this book too!!

218joey I'm too scared to read it so I hope any of you could just tell me the story? My friend refused to spoil it for me even if I'm not reading it, even if I beg.