Sath's Reviews > Consider Phlebas

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

2056399
Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, sfx-100-writers, space-opera, crap, reviewed, on-my-bookshelf, bought-new
Read in January, 2000

I read this a long time ago, but I thought I should explain my 1 star a little, from what I remember..

Basically most of the way through this book I was just thinking to myself "Where is this going?", I can't remember any major plotline, I'm not sure there was one, just a string of happenings, mostly bizzarre.
There was a memorable bit at some point, for being most grisly, to do with a cult that ate their own faeces, and then in turn were eaten alive by their leader, who was equipped with special sets of razor sharp false teeth to do so, and was obscenely fat, and so would sit on them while he ate them to hold them down.
And then I recall getting to the end, and still not knowing what exactly had happened, and without any sense of culmination.

So hence the 1 star.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider Phlebas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naath (new)

Naath I remember this one as being rather better than you remember it, although I also have not read it for some time.

message 2: by Sath (new) - rated it 1 star

Sath Naath wrote: "I remember this one as being rather better than you remember it, although I also have not read it for some time."

I won't begrudge you that :) I read a lot of the other reviews to find out if my views were wonky after such a long time, and a lot of people love it for what it is!
But ppl with 1/2 stars seem to have the same prob as me, apparently he was trying to write a galaxy wide war, but in a way he spread himself a bit thin, showing a bit of this planet, abit of that happening, and then something completely irrelevent just for a sideline. I guess for me it was just too jumpy and I wanted a direct plotline, but I tihnk it was supposed to be just an adventure mishmash. :S

I'll go back to reading star trek books! :)

message 3: by Naath (new)

Naath It is a bit jumpy-about-the-place, that's true. Later books in the same universe have less of this problem (although I don't think he ever constrains himself to a single viewpoint for a whole book*).

*I've not read anything written without his M. though.