Skip Maloney's Reviews > Touchstone

Touchstone by Laurie R. King

M_50x66
Jun 02, 09

Read in June, 2009

I see that Ms. King has recently published the latest in her Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell series (can't remember its name) but when I went looking for it on my library shelves, it was not immediately available. I did see this one - Touchstone - though, and picked itup. It had been a while since I'd read a King novel and I've always liked her.
This one is set in the mid-1920s and has an FBI agent travelling to London to track down a bomber wreaking havoc in the US. It's got a character in it named Bennett Grey; a 'damaged' war hero, with a Holmes-like ability to 'read' people and things ("This cigarette case was given to you by a blonde woman as a sort of a joke and she's since died."). The FBI agent, Grey and Grey's sister will be presumably working on an undercover collaboration to get closer to a respectable British citizen, suspected of being a mad bomber.
SFSG - so far, so good. . .nice 'sense' of character to Grey; very Holmes-like, although a little less compulsive. I'm hooked. . .will tell more later. .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touchstone.