Paul's Reviews > Gifts

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 21 to 29, 2009, read count: 1

2009.0521-2009.0529
2.5 Stars
In first person past tense we see 'through the eyes' of a young man, Orrec, who's heterogeneous blood line may have given him the unstable gift of great power?
In standard Le Guiniean fashion Gifts started out slow and slightly obtuse. It followed the normal, rambling (almost flow of consciousness) pattern I have grown to expect in books by Le Guin (note that my sample set is relativity small but 3 points do define a line :P). It was as though she needed to gain steam to get going and did not use an editor to smooth out the starting parts. With this said, by end of the story the reasons for almost every element of the narrative is revealed or at least shadowed.
I enjoyed this book. I will read the other two Annals of the Western Shore novels because of this one. TI would ranged the text from 40 (it was ok) to 60 (I liked it)% of Excellent (more or less even in that range, starting low and ending high). The average of those two values is 50%, which rounds up to 3 stars...
Between 'It was ok'(2 stars) and 'I liked it' (3 stars) plus the simple fact that "I enjoyed it" and that there is not 2.5 stars, I give it 3 stars, so I Liked it.
(note that this system of evaluation is a bit silly... as there are elements that are not comparable, such as re-readability, over all experience, and other non quantitative, or at least non comparative quanta, I my try to set up a muti-vector (i.e. independent) evaluational at some point to approximate a better descriptive taxonomy... don't really have time for that though...)
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gifts.