Kate's Reviews > How I Live Now

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Nov 01, 2010

bookshelves: 2009, age-ya, dystopia
Read in May, 2009

I first heard about this book from a "dystopia/apocalyptic fiction" reading list for teens. That being said, the cover did not especially make me think the story would involve anything of that nature - it was all butterflies and doodles and happiness.

It took me a few pages to really get into the author's writing style - lots of run-on sentences and no quotation marks to separate out the dialogue. Once I did, the story sucked me in. I really had no idea what to expect, and the story took many unexpected turns. I often had to re-read passages because I wasn't sure what had happened, if I had read that last part right. There were elements of magical realism here as well - I totally wasn't expecting that.

I wouldn't necessarily put this on the above booklist, because I tend to think of dystopias and apocalytic worlds to be kind of the end of everything, without a return to the way things previously were. In this book, Daisy and the cousins she is visiting in England experience something like a World War III without the nuclear bombs everyone associates with it, and of course the war ends and things attempt to return to "normal." But this is an intermediary story about kids surviving during a scary time, largely on their own, so maybe it does belong. The characters certainly have difficulty returning to "normal" based on the traumas they go through.

There wasn't much of anything inappropriate - two of the characters are involved in a sexual relationship but it is very poetically and nongraphically referred to.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Live Now.