Leah's Reviews > The Gnostic Mystery

The Gnostic Mystery by Randy Davila

Jun 22, 09

bookshelves: fiction, goodreads-first-reads
Read in June, 2009

I won a Goodreads giveaway!

I'm still reading this book, so I'm hesitant to rate it yet. However, it's obvious that the author is an educated man, being a professor of Religion and Philosophy. It's also obvious that he is out to disprove what is written in the Bible and make it seem as though it is nothing but a book of stories written by schmoes who "copied and pasted" traditions and stories from pagan religions at the time. The dialogue between the characters makes it sound like the author picked up an encyclopedia on Gnosticism and made a vague attempt to paraphrase what it said.

The story itself, aside from the irritating inaccurate religious aspect, is pretty good. Two young boys find some Dead Sea scrolls in a cave they aren't supposed to be rummaging around in. The scrolls are sold to some Americans on the beach, and the book follows the story of both the boys and the Americans who are on a quest to discover what the scrolls are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gnostic Mystery.