Olivia's Reviews > The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

May 21, 2009

bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2012

When I read the local translation version, I was confused and avoided that book for so long (I felt stupid for not being able to comprehend it). Then one day, I braced myself to read the English version and it took my breath away. As I got into the middle of the book, it became harder and harder to put down. It's a historical murder mystery set in an Italian abbey in 14th century. The story revolved around Franciscan friar William of Baskerville and his novice, Adso of Melk(the story's told from the Adso's point of view) trying to untangle the mystery (hint: truth is far more random and stranger than fiction) while struggling to face the corrupt Pope and his followers.

In the course of the story, I was tickled by questions, like what is 'truth', does anyone have a right to determine 'truth', is it 'static' concept or is it naturally 'bend-able', how we can define heresy, how we should defend our faith, will we be wiser if we stay on track obeying rules or if we let our guard down and commit sin sometimes?

This book, beyond satisfying our intellectual need (with William's insightful analysis), but also serves as a reminder to stay critical - not blindly believe the 'truth' that is shoveled down to your throat regardless of the status of the person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Rose.

05/21/2009 page 40