booklady's Reviews > Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity

Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body by Jason Evert

May 20, 2009

bookshelves: 2011, church-documents, education, family, favorites, health, non-fiction, philosophy, psychology, religion, scripture, spiritual, theology, worth-reading-over-and-over, youth
Recommended to booklady by: Joanne
Read from November 05 to 06, 2011

This is the book I’d like to put in the hands of every young person—male or female. Tantalizingly, feminine and masculine theologies are presented on reverse sides of the book, so that you really end up with two books in one. Of course curiosity about the opposite sex being what it is, the author hoped men and women would be just as interested in the information about the opposite gender as they were in their own.

Jason Evert’s Theology of His/Her Body does a beautiful job of explaining the two very different functions of men and women. It is the male’s responsibility to serve and sacrifice for the female and his role to initiate the gift of love and life. In these actions, the male imitates his Creator as our Warrior, King, Bridegroom and Father. The female on the other hand is a mystery to be revealed, a relationship to be pursued and a beauty to be unveiled. Women have value as daughters of the One True God, created in His image and not because of the clothes they wear or do not wear. I have seldom read feminine worth so poignantly explained as I have here; would that every young girl could know her true treasure.

We are reminded that just as, ‘It is the glory of God to conceal a matter...’ ~Proverbs 25.2 so it is also the proper attitude of a woman who knows her value to veil her mystery.

It would be worth buying this book and giving it to a young person even in the hope (s)he might read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body.

message 1: by Karina (new) - added it

Karina I've seen this book lying on the table at the Catholic Student Association of the University of South Alabama. I haven't read it, though.

message 2: by Thadeus (new)

Thadeus Thanks for your review. I was aware of the book, but wasn't sure of the quality. I can see gifting this to my nieces and nephews.

booklady Hi Karina, Thadeus,

It's a quick easy read, accessible, attractive, appealing. You're not going to get every teen to read it, but it is certainly worth trying. It is a real self-esteem booster, because it teaches them their real value comes not from the culture, peers, drugs, money or anything they can do or buy, but simply because they were made in the image and likeness of God. It's one of the those books which is like putting glasses on your perspective, if you can only get young people to read and take its message to heart.

message 4: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Thank you, Booklady, for your review! How did you enjoy Evert's style of writing? Him and his wife were guests on Women of Grace recently speaking of their new book on finding your soulmate. Have you read it? or heard of it?

booklady I thoroughly enjoyed Evert's style of writing, mostly because I wasn't aware of it. His personality didn't override his message nor vice versa; there was a harmonious balance throughout the text. No, I have not heard of his new book but I'll be on the look-out for it. Thank you!