Erin (PT)'s Reviews > Nightlife

Nightlife by Rob Thurman

Jun 29, 09

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-horror
Read in June, 2009

While reading this, I found myself most conscious of how much fiction by women I've been reading lately. Which isn't to privilege one gender's storytelling ability over the other; I just found myself very aware that this is something of a guy's book, written by a guy.

The short story is that that I enjoyed the book and I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. The longer story is that, baseline enjoyment aside, I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters. I feel like part of that is that I'm an oldest myself; the character I was most likely to lean toward was Niko, but I felt like he was a much bigger cipher when compared to Cal. I didn't feel like I was given enough to care about Niko as much as I wanted to and Cal just wasn't really 'my type'.

I was really intrigued by the backstories; I was almost more interested in Puck, Georgina, Rafferty and Promise than I was in the Leandros brothers and more interested in the potentiality of the universe than its actuality.

After damning the book with such faint praise, though, I'll reiterate that I did enjoy the book, tearing through it pretty quickly and with plenty of eagerness to see what happened. And I am definitely planning on reading more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightlife.

06/12/2009 page 203
59.88% "So far, so good."