Debbie's Reviews > Why Shoot a Butler?

Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer

May 20, 09

bookshelves: historical, mystery, romance
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

This is a mystery novel set around 1933 in Britain. It's also a romance since Frank Amberly, our hero, falls in love with a certain young lady. I will mention, though, that the author likes to make matches that are not exactly destined for peaceful, blissful marriages.

I'd actually label this book a suspense novel rather than a straight mystery. After just a few clues at the beginning, I was able to correctly guess why the murders were happening and who was doing them. The hero quickly figures it out, too, though he doesn't tell anyone. However, his main problem is getting firm evidence to back up his ideas while keeping the next targets alive.

The pacing is excellent, the mystery was interesting, and the tension was kept up throughout the book. However, it's the characters that really shine. They're varied, interesting, and entertaining. Though Frank Amberly can be a bit rude and doesn't always stick to the rules, he is charming, persistent, and clever. I enjoyed every minute I spent reading the book.

I think there are a few swear words in the book. There is no sex or gore. Overall, I'd rate this as "very good, clean fun."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Shoot a Butler?.