J.'s Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

May 20, 09

Read in May, 2009

As I read the Maze Runner ARC, I tried to decide what it compared most closely to. It has at least as much action as Hunger Games and the same sense of—what will happen next and how will they get out of it? But it does not have the heavy romance elements of Hunger Games.

There was a certain Lord of the Flies feel to how the boys create a society of their own and the power circles that show up. Yet it is not as depressing as Lord of the Flies. You are constantly rooting for the kids to succeed, while also wondering what is really going on.

I think the closest comparison I can make is Ender's Game—one of my favorite books. Maybe because you know from the beginning that the children are being manipulated, but not why, and there is a definite dark humor in their struggles to rebel against big brother.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys action, mystery, sci-fi, or fantasy. It may be too intense for younger readers, although there is very little gore. It is definitely dark, but should be enjoyed by both adults and teens. It is a book that merits multiple readings and will keep you thinking about it after you’ve closed the pages and turned off the light.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather Jealous that you got to read the ARC :)

message 2: by J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J. Hey that's why I buy the man lunch! ;)

message 3: by James (new)

James Dashner I only let you buy my lunch because I care about you, and I know it makes you happy.