T Fool's Reviews > The Plumed Serpent

The Plumed Serpent by D.H. Lawrence

May 20, 09

bookshelves: reviewed-books
Read in January, 2004

Remember Mexico was still fresh from revolution. Lawrence does tap into the 'political' here, but from that vision of his always textured with body-psychology. Any reader not expecting immersion in liquids denser than simple bathwater should be forewarned.

Lawrence comes as close as any, for a man, to getting at a woman's psyche. Granted, all relationships for him reverberate in a mind encased by nature and saturate the mind with a nature humid with August and not devoid of insects. His world smells and gets felt, annoys and perturbs. In short, it means itself in a context that strikes a reader as seriously real.

Is it possible for moderns to become Aztec gods? Is it possible for two men and a woman to find their 'place' together? We, ourselves, are so blanched with 'science' -- the overnight anchovy left over on the kitchen platter -- that when we reach for myth to explain ourselves, we find cartoons.

DHL records the succulence of life. Sometimes it's pretty, and it's largely frightening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plumed Serpent.