Nathan Eilers's Reviews > Everything That Rises Must Converge: Stories

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor

Jan 29, 2010

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Nathan by: Lost (the TV show)
Recommended for: all
Read in January, 2010 , read count: 1

I had read only bits and snatches from O'Connor before, but I knew her sterling reputation and wanted to read one of her books. Everything That Rises is a tremendous work of a brilliant author. I am thoroughly impressed (but not surprised).

Many of these stories share a similar structure, which I will not reveal here in detail, but they are all excellent. O'Connor is unparalleled in her ability to draw you into a specific situation, get you invested in the characters, and pull the rug from beneath you. Her characters are always complex and real. The characters in this book are believable, i.e. they are likable but flawed, and the events of a given story cause them to react suddenly and dramatically.

This is the best collection of short stories I've read since Hemingway's Collected Short Stores, which isn't really a collection in the proper sense. The situations, characters, settings, and style are top notch. I highly recommend this book, and I'll be back for more O'Connor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything That Rises Must Converge.

01/14/2010 page 109
40.52% "Good so far, though the stories have ended similarly. Great insights into humanity's proclivity for self-inflicted wounds."
01/22/2010 page 234
86.99% "Phenomenal collection of stories! O'Connor always leaves you gasping for air."