Catherine Schaff-Stump's Reviews > Magic Strikes

Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews

May 23, 09

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in May, 2009

While Ilona Andrews has always been a technically brilliant writer, in this book she touches the soul and essence of her characters. Kate is beautifully realized in this book, her emotions and physical aspect combined with her heart and self-sacrifice. Her secret may be out in the world, and future books will deliciously deliver what looks to be an amazing and final conflict between Kate and her heritage.

Meanwhile, Curran is realized as well, less as a creature of arrogance, and more as a complicated man. When the chips are down, Kate, Curran, and their cast are revealed to be a group of heroes worthy of their mythology and series. I find myself not only wanting more of this series, but also spin offs writing about the characters I enjoy. I would particularly like to see Andrea and Jim featured in books.

Andrews is not only technically precise, but her fight scenes are ones you can fall into. The action is well-paced and absorbing. Her knowledge of the myth and folklore of many, many cultures is put to good use in this story in a natural setting and world that makes using the variety of fantasy creatures much more than a mismatch.

I am impressed. While the first two books were good books, now I really care, and I want the next book soon. Now. Yesterday if possible. Andrews has crossed my analytical read-fiction-as-a-writer-and-learn line, and turned me into someone who has experienced her characters.

Enthuse much? All of us writers should be so lucky to get to this point in our series, and I think maybe we do have to write 2 or 3 books in a series to get here.

Catherine

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Strikes.