Renee's Reviews > Bringing Home the Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World's Most Coveted Handbag

Bringing Home the Birkin by Michael Tonello

May 23, 09

Read in May, 2009

$25,000 for a bag? Not so crazy in the circle that author Tonello travels in. How can Hermes claim to only make 100 bags a year and put people on a waiting list? What is ingenious is how they built their name and the mystique surrounding them. The BEST chapter IMHO is when one of his bags is taken hostage. The rest of the book felt like filler to that point.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to read something easy and light. And, this was read start to finish on a Friday evening after work. It is *not* high lit, but would be great for a marketing class.

I was impressed with the ingenuity of the author and the thrill he gained from working the system. But, to read how ravenous others were for handbag boggled my mind.

The writing was *ok*. I did feel like the publishers asked him to throw in more about his romance and backstory to flesh out the book. I was also uncomfortable with him talking about his parent's wealth, seemed to have little to do with the story.

I think if you're not interested in fashion and retail, this book will annoy you. If you are interested, you will be amused.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Home the Birkin.

message 1: by Inkstain (new)

Inkstain I'll send you A Visit From Voltaire or Under Their Skin, for free. You shouldn't be reading this dross, C.
With affection, and love your other blog,
Inkstain

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace If only 100 a year are made, does that mean Victoria Beckham employed their entire workshop for a year? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/art...

Renee Grace wrote: "If only 100 a year are made, does that mean Victoria Beckham employed their entire workshop for a year? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/art......"

I know, right? It's such BS. That's what I did like about the book. I'll never look at the myth surrounding fashion the same again.

Inkstain wrote: "I'll send you A Visit From Voltaire or Under Their Skin, for free. You shouldn't be reading this dross, C.
With affection, and love your other blog,
Inkstain"

LOL. I know. I know. But, it was an interesting read :)